Sunday, March 13, 2011

GUILTY, of over weathering...

With some time on my hands and a swag of new books, it has become obvious to me that I am guilty of getting carried away with weathering. I seem to have been caught in the situation of looking at and photographing stock that is derelict and thinking that this is how they always looked. So with time period modelling in mind it was time to adjust some wagons back to dirty and grimy instead of rusted and abused.


 The top picture is more how the van may have appeared in the 1990's (different code of coarse), so now is more late 60's to early 80's.
I am quite pleased I went to the effort because the vans  aren't all the same. I painted some lighter and darker then each other which gives a more natural effect then when the were all plastic grey from On Track Models. I have also added the improvements like Sergent couplers, chains and scale wheels. Also changed the spider brake wheel and thinned the mounting bracket. I would like to change the shunters steps but ahhh, maybe some other time.

So I guess the object of the post is to think about your period of modelling and weather accordingly, no matter how tempting it is to do the big rust patterns and dents that we can find today.

3 comments:

  1. Andrew, I can't agree more with you about the general overdoing of weathering. Some of the models I have seen running around on some layouts would have been condemned on the spot at the time they portray! Even into the eighties, wagons were 'scruffy' and dirty, but not 'ready for the scrap line' as many appear today. All I can do is keep suggesting
    "weather to a (contemporary) photograph!" ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The exception to neat-and-tidy would seem to be the aluminum rolling stock--researching WHX, WX, WTY wheat wagons, these tended to only look bright shiny and silvery (as the Austrains WHX's appear) for only a short time. Oxidation, road grime, etc., gave them a dull grey finish rather quickly. I'd guess that part of the reason NSWGR chose gunmetal grey was its ability to hide grime relatively well. Certainly the PTC's blue and SRA's oxide red colors didn't stand up as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrew
    I like the look of the wheels, couplers, etc.
    Having a largish layout tends to cool down the ardour for this level of the hobby but i can certainly appreciate it.
    You might want to look at adding vertical handrails on the ends of the louvre vans as these were on the wagons in the 60's (something I have yet to do).

    Ray P

    ReplyDelete